Advanced Practice Professional (Nurse Practitioner) Neurology/Neurosur
Company: Michigan Medicine
Location: Ann Arbor
Posted on: September 24, 2018
How to Apply This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 162434 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 162436.
A total of one (1), 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
Responsibilities* The NP/PA will have responsibility half-time for neurology and half-time for neurosurgery.
In the morning, the NP/PA will be responsible for University Hospital 4A neurosurgical patients. Responsibilities will include:
- Rounding with the neurosurgery team in the morning on all 4A neurosurgical patients.
- Assisting with discharges/progress notes and order maintenance for the neurosurgical patient population.
- Responding to calls from nursing staff when questions arise or when clinical changes are observed in a patient. In the afternoon, the NP/PA will be utilized for caring for the neurology patient population specifically the epilepsy patients and those patients on CCTV monitoring. Those responsibilities will include:
- Responding to calls from the nursing staff, ordering maintenance, admissions and discharges and daily progress notes. The NP/PA will communicate with the primary teams throughout the day as needed to share clinical condition changes, new laboratory results, consultant recommendation etc. on the neurosurgical and neurology patients. After appropriate training the NP/PA:
- Will be able to perform interpretation of routine neurologic studies.
- Assist with data collection and management in the clinical research on the unit under the direction of the physician. Additional responsibilities:
- Maintain ACLS certification and competency.
- Participate in appropriate professional organizations and engage in clinical research as able.
- Possibility of on-call responsibilities NOTE: This position is also posted in the Physician Assistant job family under number 162436 for PAs to apply.
Nursing Specific Info Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at .
Required Qualifications* Required Qualifications (NP):
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult or Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN). Required Qualifications (PA):
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan. Required Qualifications for the NP/PA:
- Minimum of two years' experience with neuro patient population including EEG monitoring
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification
- Demonstrated ability to complete history and physical examination; order appropriate diagnostic studies; synthesize information and make informed clinical decisions; develop appropriate care plans; responsive to patient and family preferences and needs.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative practice.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team on the adult inpatient unit with other Neurosurgery providers.NOTE:
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position*
Selected candidate must have required NP or PA certification and Michigan licensure before start of credentialing.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
** Under Michigan Law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of employment or transfer for this position.
- 3 or more years NP/PA experience with neuro patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize the electronic medical record for accessing information, recording evaluations and progress notes and for ordering appropriate medications and tests.
- Demonstrated commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to diversity.
- Demonstrated leadership in a professional healthcare setting and other professional activities.
- Demonstrated experience with procedures, such as central line placement, arterial line placement, lumbar puncture, etc. will be completed by the NP/PA Initially with the intensivist until the NP/PA has been approved to perform the procedure without supervision. Work Schedule Shift/Hours: 40 hours per week
Union Affiliation This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Background Screening Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Contact Information If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at or e-mail . For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit .
Mission Statement Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Application Deadline Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Selection Process Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University's research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Keywords: Michigan Medicine, Saginaw , Advanced Practice Professional (Nurse Practitioner) Neurology/Neurosur, Healthcare , Ann Arbor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!