Nurse Care Assistant
Company: Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation
Posted on: November 6, 2019
SUMMARY We have the great privilege of helping patients and
families re-build their lives. It's extraordinarily meaningful work
and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation.
When patients \\"Ask for Mary,\\" they experience a culture that
has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to
carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is
true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to
clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited
rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults
each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation,
orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the
most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an
exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses
and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical
outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients
throughout the state with access to our unique standard of
Mary Free Bed at Covenant Health Care provides inpatient
rehabilitation care for patients in the Saginaw and surrounding
regions. Mary Free Bed Nursing Care Assistants working in this
location have the opportunity to receive support from both
organizations, and are expected to follow all applicable policies
and procedures that apply to our work. In this job description, the
term \\"Nursing Department\\" refers to all care and
responsibilities that the nursing staff provide to the patients
that we serve.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients,
families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the
communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients,
families and each other with dignity and respect.
Nursing Care Assistants provide important patient care within the
Nursing Department. Under the direction of the registered nurse
assigned to each patient, this non-licensed team member assists
with patient care and other department activities as outlined in
this job description, and communicates effectively with the RN
responsible for each patient. Work performed by each Nursing Care
Assistant must support the mission, vision, and values of Mary Free
Age Specific Responsibility:
Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served in
assigned department. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles
of growth and development over the life span and possess the
ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and
interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each
patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs,
and to provide the care needed as described in the department's
policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Quality Pillar of Excellence
* Patient Care - The Nursing Care Assistant providesdirect patient
care, as delegated by the RN and in accordance with this job
description and applicable departmental policies and procedures.
Patient care performed by a NCA includes, but is not limited to,
* Collects and monitors data and reports physiological,
psychological, socio-cultural, and spiritual needs of the patient
and families as directed by and in coordination with the patient's
* Obtains and records vital signs, height, weight and other data as
requested, using appropriate equipment and technique.
* Provides direct patient care including feeding, collecting urine
and stool specimens, patient hygiene, recording intake and output,
and other responsibilities as outlined in department policies.
* Acts as a safety attendant, as assigned, providing direct
supervision under the direction of the RN to maintain the safety of
* May monitor patients via virtual monitoring system and utilize
microphone headset to communicate effectively to monitor
* Answers call lights in a timely, respectful manner.
* Documents care via computer/written patient record according to
department policies, including content and timeliness of
* Provides input to the RN for use in an individualized plan of
care for each patient
* Assists the patient and family in learning appropriate self-care
techniques, within the scope of the Nursing Care Assistant.
* Ambulates, transports, and positions patients with proper body
mechanics, applying o utilizing special equipment as necessary.
* Provides diversion activities, comforts and supports patients and
their family members.
* Transports patients in a safe and timely manner to facilitate
patient diagnostic testing and therapy sessions, as needed.
Communicates with other team members in order to ensure continuity
of care and coordination of services.
* Maintains the patient's living environment in a clean, safe
* Cleans patient areas, work areas, and equipment, as needed.
Communicates any equipment malfunctions to the Central Supply
Department or Nursing Leadership Team, and removes equipment from
patient care in accordance with department policies.
* Assists with collection of quality data, as assigned by the RN,
Clinical Care Coordinator, or Nurse Manager.
* Demonstrates appropriate use of all patient care equipment, in
accordance with departmental policies.
* Communication - Each staff member in the Nursing Department is
responsible to communicate in a timely, professional and respectful
manner at all times. Responsibilities of the Nursing Care Assistant
include, but are not limited to:
* Patients and their families or visitors are treated with kindness
* Customers, physicians, and other staff members are treated with
kindness and respect.
* Maintains effective working relationships with employees
throughout the organization.
* Each employee treats patient call lights as a primary
communication method between the patient and the caregiver, and
promptly responds to call lights, in person, as soon as
* Delivers care in a manner that is culturally sensitive and
preserves the dignity and rights of each patient. Deals discreetly
and sensitively with confidential information, and follows all
hospital policies related to protected health information.
Service Pillar of Excellence
* Customer Service - Each Nursing Care Assistant is required to
demonstrate excellent customer service standards and behaviors in
all interactions with colleagues, patients, family members,
physicians, and other customers. The Mary Free Bed Standards of
Behavior outlines expectations for performance in this area. This
employee is responsible to understand how patient satisfaction is
measured within the nursing department, the expectations related to
customer service, and the action plans that are in place to improve
the satisfaction of MFB at Covenant customers.
People Pillar of Excellence
* Employee communication- The Nursing Care Assistantunderstands
that communication with hospital and department leadership occurs
in many ways, and that it is the responsibility of each employee to
be aware of policy and practice changes. This information is shared
through various methods such as administrative bulletins, staff
meetings, bulletin board postings, email, department newsletters,
individual discussions, and on the MFB intranet (InsideMFB).
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic
information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected
Keywords: Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation, Saginaw , Nurse Care Assistant, Healthcare , Saginaw, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!