R&D Thermal Engineer- Saginaw (2021)
Company: Nexteer Automotive
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Nexteer Automotive is looking for a research product engineer
with motor/electronics thermal modeling experience. The candidate
selected for this position will be responsible for the mechanical
development of motors and inverters used in electrified powertrain
solutions. Motor and power electronics design engineers may be able
to evaluate a given design's thermal performance with the
assistance of certain software but are not equipped to invent
active thermal designs that are smart and optimized. The candidate
will receive design inputs including potential motor designs,
performance requirements, electrical schematics, packaging
envelopes and operating environments, and in turn will make
proposals on thermal management systems to be incorporated into the
designs. This position will interface with cross-functional teams
at Nexteer including MCAD, ECAD, electrical circuit design, motors,
systems, manufacturing and purchasing.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with electrical design engineers on loss distribution and
thermal management of motor and power electronics.
- Experimental evaluation of motor and inverter thermal
performance - based both on lab experiments and by utilizing
analytical tools. Must be able to propose alternatives as necessary
to improve thermal performance or meet system requirements.
- Design active cooling features, including requirements for
material potting, liquid cooling, forced air cooling, and all
mechanical features necessary for these solutions.
- Provide expertise on prototyping techniques and production
manufacturing related to heat dissipation.
- Provide initial estimates of design features to electrical and
mechanical team during early system design stages.
- Interface with electromagnetic machine design team for
evaluation of electric motors based on their thermal
characteristics by utilizing analytical tools as well as Finite
Element Analysis and propose solutions to improve thermal
- Develop thermal models to predict the temperature rise within
the electromechanical powertrain system and the inverter system
along with conducting validation tests.
- Provide design directions to CAD personnel and develop
solutions to existing problems along with conduct optimization
studies to achieve cost controls.
- Coordinate with vendors and/or customers to devise alternative
solutions for performance while maintaining and/or reducing the
cost of the product.
- Lead product design analysis while developing innovative
technologies/ideas, creating technical drawings, validating and
testing design concepts, diagnosing and correcting
DEGREE: Masters Degree with 5+ years of experience in job
offered or related area, or PhD with 3 years+ of experience in job
offered or related field
MAJOR: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Experience must include:
- Engineering theory and principles of design
- Course work or prior experience with design of thermal cooling
- Ability to conduct thermal equivalent circuit modeling on
- Engineering processes and controls
- Computer Aided Design
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Manufacturing processes and controls
- Finite Element Analysis expertise
- Preferred Experience
- Knowledge of thermal industry and recent design enhancements
- Experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics based software
- Experience with electric motor or power electronics thermal
- Experience with electric propulsion systems, environments, and
Nearest Major Market: Saginaw
Keywords: Nexteer Automotive, Saginaw , R&D Thermal Engineer- Saginaw (2021), Other , Saginaw, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!