Social Services Director
Company: Avista Nursing and Rehab
Posted on: June 1, 2021
Avista Nursing and Rehab -
Purpose of Your Job Position
The primary purpose of your position is to plan, organize,
develop, and direct the overall operation of the Facilitys Social
Services Department in accordance with current federal, state, and
local standards, guidelines, and regulations, our established
policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the
Administrator, to assure that the medically related emotional and
social needs of the residents are met and maintained on an
Delegation of Authority
As Social Services Director you are delegated
the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability
necessary for carrying out your assigned duties.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions
of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that
these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The
omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them
from the position if the work is similar, related or is an
essential function of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the
social services programs of the Facility.
- Assist in the development, administering, and coordinating of
department policies and procedures.
- Keep abreast of current federal and state regulations, as well
as professional standards, and make recommendations on changes in
policies and procedures to the Administrator.
- Review department policies and procedures, at least annually,
and participate in making recommended changes.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the
identification of medically related social and emotional needs of
- Participate in community planning related to the interests of
the Facility and the services and needs of the resident and
- Participate in discharge planning, development and
implementation of social care plans and resident assessments.
- Interview resident and families in a private setting, as
- Perform administrative requirements, such as completing
necessary forms, reports, etc., and submitting such to the
Administrator, as required.
- Involve the resident and family in planning social service
programs when possible in a private setting.
- Assist in arranging transportation to other facilities when
- Refer resident and families to appropriate social service
agencies when the Facility does not provide the services or needs
of the resident in a private setting.
- Provide information to resident and families as to Medicare and
Medicaid, and other financial assistance programs available to the
- Provide consultation to members of our staff, community
agencies, etc., in efforts to solve the needs and problems of the
resident through the development of social service programs.
- Assist in the review and updating of Social Services
Departments job descriptions, annually.
- Assume the authority, responsibility, and accountability of
directing the Social Service Department.
- Maintain a quality working relationship with the medical
profession and other health related facilities and
- Review and evaluate the departments work force and make
recommendations to the Administrator.
- Coordinate social service activities with other departments, as
- Make written and oral reports and recommendations to the
Administrator concerning the operation of the Social Service
- Keep abreast of economic conditions and situations and
recommend to the Administrator adjustments in social services that
assure the continued ability to provide daily social services.
- Review and develop a plan of correction for social service
deficiencies noted during survey inspections and provide a written
copy of such to the Administrator.
- Review departmental complaints and grievances from personnel
and make written reports to the Administrator of action(s) taken.
Follow Facilitys established procedures.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an ongoing quality assurance
program for the Social Services Department.
- Participate in Facility surveys (inspections) made by
authorized government agencies, as necessary or as may be
- Interview residents, or family members, as necessary, in a
private setting to obtain social history.
- Assure that social service progress notes are informative and
descriptive of the services provided and of the residents response
to the service.
- Maintain a reference library of written material, laws,
standards of practice, etc., necessary for complying with current
standards and regulations, and that will provide assistance in
maintaining quality social service.
- Develop and maintain a community and social services referral
file of agencies and organizations that provide assistance to
- Involve the resident and family in planning objectives and
goals for the resident.
- Meet with administration, medical and nursing staff, as well as
other related departments in planning social service programs and
- Serve on, participate in, and attend various committees of the
Facility (i.e. Infection Control, Policy Advisory, Pharmaceutical,
Budget, Quality Assessment and Assurance, etc.), as required and as
appointed by the Administrator.
- Provide written and/or oral reports of the social service
programs and activities, as required or as may be directed by such
- Participate in regularly scheduled reviews of resident
- Evaluate and implement recommendations from established
committees as they may pertain to social services.
- Meet with social services personnel, on a regularly scheduled
basis, and solicit advice from inter-department supervisors
concerning the operation of the Social Services department, assist
in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/or the improvement
- Assist in the recruitment, interviewing, and selection of
social services personnel.
- Determine departmental staffing requirements necessary to meet
the Social Service Departments needs, and assign a sufficient
number of social services personnel for each tour of duty.
- Recommend to the Administrator the number and level of social
services personnel to be employed.
- Schedule department work hours (including vacation and holiday
schedules), personnel, work assignments, etc., to expedite
- Delegate administrative authority, responsibility, and
accountability to other social services personnel as deemed
necessary to perform their assigned duties (i.e., Social Worker,
Social Service Designee, etc.).
- Counsel and discipline social services personnel, as requested
or as necessary.
- Terminate employment of personnel when necessary, documenting,
and coordinating such actions with the HR Delegate and/or
- Assist in standardizing the methods in which social services
tasks will be performed.
- Review and check competence of social services personnel and
make necessary adjustments and corrections, as required or that may
- Maintain a productive working relationship with other
department supervisors and coordinate social services to assure
that daily social services can be performed without
- Assure that appropriate identification documents are presented
prior to employment and that such records are maintained in the
employees personnel record.
- Make daily rounds to assure that social services personnel are
performing required duties, and to assure that appropriate social
service procedures are being rendered to meet the needs of the
- Conduct departmental performance evaluations in accordance with
the Facilitys policies and procedures.
- Develop and participate in the planning, conducting, scheduling
of timely in-service training classes that provide instructions on
how to do the job, and ensure well-educated Social Services
- Develop, implement, and maintain an effective orientation
program that orients the new employee to the department, its
policies and procedures, and to his/her job position and
- Provide leadership training that includes the administrative
and supervisory principles essential for the social services
- Encourage the social services supervisory staff to attend and
participate in outside training programs. Schedule times as
- Assist support services in developing, implementing, and
conducting in-service training programs that relate to the Social
- Attend and participate in continuing educational programs
designed to keep you abreast of changes in your profession, as well
as to maintain your license on a current status.
- Ensure that all social services personnel attend and
participate in annual Facility in-service training programs as
scheduled (e.g., OSHA, TB, HIPAA, Abuse Prevention, Safety,
Infection Control, etc.)..
Safety and Sanitation
- Assist in developing safety standards for the Social Services
- Ensure that the departments policy and procedure manual
identifies safety precautions and equipment to use when performing
tasks that may result in bodily injury.
- Monitor social services personnel to assure that they are
following established safety regulations in the use of equipment
- Make weekly inspections of all social service functions to
assure that quality control measures are continually
- Ensure that social service work areas are maintained in a clean
and sanitary manner.
- Ensure that all social services personnel follow established
departmental policies and procedures, including appropriate dress
- Ensure that social services personnel participate in and
conduct all fire safety and disaster preparedness drills in a safe
and professional manner.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and revising of
written aseptic and isolation technique.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a program for monitoring
communicable and/or infectious diseases among the residents and
- Ensure that social services personnel follow established
infection control procedures when isolation precautions become
- Ensure that department personnel follow established procedures
governing the use of labels and MSDSs.
- Report missing and illegible labels and MSDSs to the safety
officer or other designated person.
- Ensure that department personnel performing tasks that may
involve potential exposure to blood, body fluids, infectious
disease, etc., attend appropriate in- service training classes
prior to performing such tasks.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a procedure for reporting
hazardous conditions or equipment. Report any exposure to blood and
- Ensuring Resident Safety
Equipment and Supply Functions
- Recommend to the Administrator the equipment and supply needs
of the Social Services Department.
- Place orders for equipment and supplies, as necessary or as may
- Make periodic rounds to check equipment and to assure that
necessary equipment is available and working properly.
- Check supply rooms to assure that needed supplies are on hand
to perform assigned cleaning tasks.
- Ensure that all personnel operate social service equipment in a
- Develop and implement procedures that ensure social service
supplies are used in an efficient manner to avoid waste.
- Ensure that MSDSs are on file for hazardous chemicals used in
the Social Services Department.
Care Plan and Assessment Functions
- Develop preliminary and comprehensive assessments of the social
service needs of each resident.
- Develop a written plan of care for each resident that
identifies social problems and needs of the resident and the goals
to be accomplished for each problem or need identified.
- Ensure that social services components of the MDS are completed
and signed on a timely basis.
- Monitor the Facilitys QI, QM, and survey reports relative to
social services and make recommendations to correct identified
- Encourage the resident or family to participate in the
development and review of residents plan of care.
- Assist in the scheduling of care plans and assessments to be
presented and discussed at each committee meeting.
- Ensure that all social services personnel are aware of the care
plan and that care plans are used in providing daily social
services to the resident.
- Review nurses notes to determine if the care plan is being
followed. Report problem areas to the Director of Nursing
Budget and Planning Functions
- Forecast needs of the Social Services Department.
- Assist in preparing and planning the social services
departments budget for food, equipment, supplies, and labor and
submit to the Administrator for review, recommendations, and
- Maintain current written records of department expenditures and
assure that adequate financial records and cost reports are
submitted to the Administrator upon request or as necessary.
- Make departmental adjustments in order to conform to approved
budget, and/or as dictated by an analysis of the monthly operating
- Ensure that all social services personnel are knowledgeable of
the residents rights and responsibilities including the right of
- Review complaints and grievances made by the resident and make
a written and oral report to the Administrator indicating what
action(s) were taken to resolve the complaint or grievance. Follow
Facilitys established procedures.
- Maintain a written record of the residents complaints and/or
grievances that indicates the action taken to resolve the complaint
and the current status of the complaint.
- Provide residents with information concerning resident rights,
living wills, etc. Explain as necessary.
- Participate in resident and group council meetings as requested
and provide support services to such council.
- Must adhere to all HIPAA requirements.
- Works in office areas as well as throughout the Facility.
- Is involved with residents, personnel, visitors, government
agencies or personnel, etc., under all conditions and
- Communicates with the medical staff, nursing service, and other
- Maintains a liaison with other department supervisors to
adequately plan for social services and activities.
- May be subject to the handling of and exposure to hazardous
- Must possess, as a minimum, a Bachelors Degree in social
- Must have, as a minimum, two (2) years experience in a
supervisory capacity in a hospital, nursing care facility, or other
related medical facility.
- Registered as with Academy of Certified Social Workers
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English
- Must be knowledgeable of the rules, regulations, and guidelines
that govern nursing care facilities.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when
circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess leadership ability and willingness to work
harmoniously with and supervise other personnel.
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles
and be willing to incorporate them into existing social
Physical and Sensory Requirements
(With or Without a Reasonable
- Must be able to speak and write the English language in an
- Must possess sight and hearing senses or use prosthetics that
will enable these senses to function adequately so that the
requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must meet the general health requirements set forth by the
policies of the Facility, which may include a medical and physical
- Based on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's
Guidelines for Nursing Homes Ergonomics for the Prevention of
Musculoskeletal Disorders and the American Conference Governmental
Industrial Hygienists' Threshold Limit Values for Lifting the
Facility has identified that this job may require the lifting of
residents, equipment, or other objects. Accordingly, this job may
require a minimum of 5 pounds and a maximum of 25 pounds lifting,
periodically and or as needed.
Keywords: Avista Nursing and Rehab, Saginaw , Social Services Director, Other , Saginaw, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!