13F Fire Support Specialist
Company: Army National Guard
Posted on: January 4, 2019
Join the Army National Guard as a Fire Support Specialist and become part of an elite field artillery team. You will provide the intelligence needed to support infantry and tank units in combat operations while learning highly sought-after skills that will help you in your civilian career.
Also known as the Forward Observer, Fire Support Specialists act as the eyes of an artillery unit and are primarily responsible for target acquisition and relaying that information to artillery units at all levels. In this role, you will become an expert communicator as you establish, maintain, and operate communications equipment; operate laser range finders; encode and decode messages; assist in preparing and distributing fire support plans; and determine target locations using computers or manual calculations.
And as your skills increase, so will your responsibilities. Advanced team members supervise and train other Soldiers, prepare observer target lists, initiate suppressive fire, and select and man observation posts.
• Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
• Ability to multitask
Plus, the skills you learn as a Fire Support Specialist can prepare you for a rewarding civilian career in computer consulting, information technology support, or data processing.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
After 10 weeks of Basic Training, where you will learn fundamental Soldiering skills, you will attend six weeks of Advanced Individual Training (AIT), which will include a combination of hands-on and classroom training where you will learn how to decisively compute target locations, proper ammunition handling techniques, system operations, and artillery tactics.
- Paid training
- A monthly paycheck
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Federal and State tuition assistance
- Retirement benefits for part-time service
- Low-cost life insurance (up to $400,000 in coverage)
- 401(k)-type savings plan
- Student Loan Repayment Program (up to $50,000, for existing loans)
- Health care benefits available
- VA home loans
- Bonuses, if applicable
- Most non-prior service candidates will earn between $200 and $250 per drill weekend, subject to change
- Military enlistment in the Army National Guard
- Must be at least a junior in high school, or have a high school diploma or a GED certificate
- Must be between the ages of 17 and 35
- Must be able to pass a physical exam and meet legal and moral standards
- Must meet citizenship requirements (see NATIONALGUARD.com for details)
Requires military enlistment. Programs and benefits are subject to change. Ask your Army National Guard recruiter for the most up-to-date information. Actual MOS assignment may depend on MOS availability.
This position may qualify for a bonus, ask your National Guard recruiter for the most up-to-date information.
Keywords: Army National Guard, Saginaw , 13F Fire Support Specialist, Other , Saginaw, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!