Electrical Product Development Engineer
Company: Means Industries.
Posted on: July 7, 2019
Means Industries, headquartered in Saginaw, MI, is a Tier 1 global
automotive supplier of high value transformational
propulsion-system technologies. Means leverages its unique process
and product design capabilities to produce award winning
innovations that improve fuel economy and reduce mass through its
Controllable Mechanical Diode (CMD) Selectable One Way Clutch,
Advanced Metal-Forming and Joining Capabilities, and our emerging
Dynamic Clutch Technologies that are designed to enable efficient
Established in 1922, Means continues to foster a culture of
collaboration through two business units, Means Propulsion Systems
and Means TransForm Products. Our passion for problem solving
drives everything we do and we remain committed to producing high
quality innovative technology solutions at our three manufacturing
facilities in Saginaw, Michigan; two manufacturing facilities in
Sterling Heights, Michigan; a manufacturing facility in Shelby
Township, Michigan; a manufacturing facility in London, Ontario,
Canada and a Sales and Engineering Office in both Tokyo, Japan and
Shanghai, China. For more information about our company, please
visit our website (www.meansindustries.com).
Means is a division of Amsted Industries (www.amsted.com), one of
the world's largest transportation component manufacturers. Based
in Chicago, Amsted specializes in products that serve the rail,
heavy-duty vehicle, automotive, construction and general industrial
markets. Amsted has 45 manufacturing facilities in 11 countries and
employs more than 16,000 people throughout the world. Amsted is one
of the largest 100 percent employee-owned companies in the United
Means Propulsion Systems, a business unit of Means Industries,
designs, tests and produces some of the most sophisticated products
for the global Propulsion industry. Core technologies (traditional
and electrified propulsion) include Selectable One-Way Clutches,
Mechanical Diode One Way Clutches, Dynamic Controllable Mechanical
Diodes and Integrated Shifting Systems. Our engineers deliver
robust engineering and manufacturing solutions by partnering with
customers from the conceptual phase straight through to design and
integration. Means Propulsion Systems has a manufacturing facility
in Saginaw, Michigan and Sales and Engineering Offices in Tokyo,
Japan and Shanghai, China. For more information about our company,
please visit our website (www.meansindustries.com).
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE
For more information about our company, visit our web site at
Designs, develops, and improves new and existing products in
conformance to customer specifications. Directs fabrication,
conducts build, and directs testing of prototypes. Analyze design
concepts for fit, function, manufacturability, and ease of
assembly. Coordinate engineering activities between the Customer,
Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Sales/Marketing,
and the supply base.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and maintains timing charts for various program
- Develop relationships with customer's advanced design and
development product engineers.
- Design oneself and/or direct CAD Operators in the design of new
products. Submit design work requests as required to obtain
- Verify that designs meet all customer prototype specifications
and requirements through analysis. Including:
- Writing and reviewing work order with CAE department
- Hand calculations as verification of CAE work
- Interpreting and applying results to demonstrate acceptable
performance or modify for improved performance.
- Direct testing to insure customer prototype parts meet or
exceed specification. Including
- Write test plans
- Develop necessary tests
- Instruct test lab how to complete necessary tests
- Document test results internally and externally, complete
conclusions, and make recommendations based on test results.
- Coordinates the fabrication of prototypes. Assemble prototypes
and document builds in conformance with customer/internal
- Prepare engineering cost studies by working with purchasing and
manufacturing to obtain cost estimates.
- Establish test requirements and procedures, prepare product
test plans, direct product testing, review test results, prepare
reports, and communicate results to internal and external
- Participate in Means Innovation initiatives.
- Liaison with internal and external manufacturing, operations
and assembly personnel to insure that prototype designs can be
manufactured at reasonable cost
- Initiates design FMEA's or customer equivalent for new products
- Prepares/supports root cause analysis and prepares
documentation as required by customer as part of failure
- Helps prepare marketing and competitor analysis studies to aid
in strategic planning and capital programs.
- When necessary, liaison with Means manufacturing facilities in
areas of product design, manufacturing, assembly, and process
- Prepares Product Submission Warrants for prototype sample
submissions, per customer requirements.
- Work with Quality Department to create prototype build control
plans and build process flow sheets.
- Initiates design and development for new and improved
- Prepares and participates in formal training and technical
presentations for customers as well as internal personnel.
- Acts as a Team Leader for development programs and as a mentor
for co-op/ summer engineering students and Means Product
Application Engineers. Help guide and monitor others that are on
the team to ensure goals and timing are met.
Education: Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or
Electrical Engineering. A Master's Degree in Mechanical or
Electrical Engineering is desirable.
- 5 years minimum in electrical component engineering
- 3 years minimum in automotive/light truck product environment.
Experience in automotive powertrain/drive-line components,
transmission power flows and transmission component function
- Successful launching of a product with an Automotive OEM
- Able to fully characterize electromechanical actuation
- DC motors
- Sensors (Hall, Inductive)
- Knowledge of PCB assembly and testing
- Knowledge of CAN or LIN communication preferred but not
- Matlab/Simulink or equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of
- Over molding
- Coil winding
- Mechanical properties of magnets
- Thermal effects on actuators and PCB's
- Electromagnetic compatibility
Means supports and cultivates creativity through a collaborative
cross functional work environment. By nurturing innovation at all
levels of the company, Means' desire for progress and improvement
helps launch pioneering, transformative technologies within the
With a high level focus on people development, you can grow and
develop through diverse work experiences and quality training
opportunities. Means is experiencing exponential growth and
supports a culture where employees take pride and ownership in
their work. As an employee owned company, you will recognize your
direct impact on the business and be part of its success (US
Means offers a comprehensive range of benefits including medical,
dental, vision, 401(k) with employer matching, a health savings
account with contribution for US employees and an excellent
Means is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected
Keywords: Means Industries., Saginaw , Electrical Product Development Engineer, Professions , Saginaw, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!